Tips for Placement of Your AC Unit Near Your House or Commercial Building
Whether you’re replacing an old unit, or installing a new AC system, AC placement is an important consideration, and simply putting it in the most inconspicuous place or that where the old unit already was might not be the best course of action.
Tips On Where to Place Your AC Unit Near your Home or Commercial Building
- Ensure the area you choose has adequate space (2-3 feet in all directions) around the unit.
- There should be no obstructions near or around the unit (such as window sills, steps, decks, etc.)
- The unit should be positioned away from areas of foot traffic
- Do not place the unit behind doors or on the immediate opposing side of a fence
- Always have an energy assessment to determine optimal positioning and placement to improve efficiency and reduce operational costs
- Place the unit where the condenser will be in an elevated position away from pooling water (such as during periods of heavy rainfall).
- Place the unit in an area where you can install a concrete foundation for it to sit on
- Be aware of noise pollution and how the unit may disturb residents depending on placement
- Do not install your AC unit in areas directly in the sun
- The unit should be installed on the ‘cooler’ side of your building or home
The underlying logic behind these tips is to choose an area that will support and enable your unit to work as efficiently as possible without any hindrances. Our licensed HVAC technicians can help you make the right choice.